By Paolo Galia
We often hear that “our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit.” I never fully understood what this meant until I realized the impact it has in our lives. Simply put, Jesus lives in us. God dwells in us. The Holy Spirit is with us.
If that’s the case, what kind of home do you think would He want to have?
When I was in high school, my room was a mess. It was a good kind of mess. My mom and dad nagged me about cleaning it but I’d ignore them. Lazy me. But it came to a point when my room wasn’t anymore a room. It was chaos. It was unlivable. Even I wouldn’t want to go in. So, I had to tidy it up.
I guess it’s the same with the Spirit living in us. Yes, Jesus would still love us even if we commit sin. That’s His nature. But wouldn’t it be just fitting if we could also “clean up” our hearts for Him?
God commands us to “love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind” and “love your neighbor as yourself.”
Now, if these were the rules given to us, how would you apply that to His home? How would you take care of your mind? Your body? Your heart? Your neighbor? Yourself? What do you think would He want us to do? What would He want us to stay away from?
Having a healthy lifestyle isn’t just about being fit, sexy, or having six-pack abs. It isn’t just about eating the right food or having a balanced diet. It isn’t just about staying away from vices. It’s more than that. It’s the entire package.
A healthy mind. A healthy body. A healthy heart. This creates a healthy self. Which in turn creates a healthy family and a healthy environment.
- Have a positive mindset. Trust and have faith in God.
- Protect your mind from sin and temptation. Be careful what you watch on TV, what music you listen to, what you read or browse on the Internet or social media.
- Surround yourself with good friends, people who will encourage you to do the right thing.
- Read the Bible and other devotionals such as Didache.
- Exercise! Run. Play sports. Go to the gym. Swim. Dance. Walk.
- Eat the right kind of food. Have a balanced diet.
- Get enough sleep.
- Of course, take a bath, wash, and brush your teeth regularly.
- Ask for forgiveness of your sins. Go to confession.
- Be thankful.
- Be humble and open.
- Love. Just love.
How do we clean up His home and live a truly healthy life? It begins with us. If everybody would just do their part in living a healthy life, then I guess the world would indeed be a better place.
*This excerpt is taken from Fish Magazine V.18.09*
Grab your e-copy here.