Symptom that work becomes god: “Work is my life.”
Many people devote themselves totally to their work that it becomes their god. Here are some signs that tell you this passion killer is creeping into your life:
- Rest days become work days.
- There is no time to go to church, and daily prayer is neglected.
- The house becomes an extension of the office.
- Parents “live” in their offices and no longer have adequate time to bond with and see their family.
- Children develop deep resentment due to the frequent absences of their parents, which affects their behavior negatively.
- Stress at work is manifested in the manner of speech at home.
Profit, prestige, and pride in business become his or her life’s main motivators and the only source of self- worth and happiness.
Many workaholics worship their work even to the point of taking their lives when they fail. It’s the only thing that matters to them, not even their families. Here’s a story from Bloomberg that depicts this extreme situation:
I try to tell them the children want their father, not the money.” Unfortunately, the message often doesn’t get through. Japan is suffering what amounts to a suicide epidemic. Hardly a week passes without news of an executive jumping in front of a train or hanging himself in a hotel room. Top executives are ending their lives, too… Perhaps the fastest way to stem the suicide wave is to get the economy growing again. ere is a strong correlation between economic conditions and feelings of worthlessness. Suicides spiked in 1998, when the economy went into a tailspin after several big banks and brokerages failed. A return to growth might give Japan’s desperate workers hope for the future — and a reason to live. (Brian Bremner, Bloomberg, Business Suicides: Japan’s Death Trap, 2002)What is your reason for living? What is your reason for working? St. Irenaeus said, “The glory of God is man fully alive!” Jesus also said, “I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly” ( John 10:10).Yes it is God’s will that we live our lives passionately, abundantly, and fully. But beware when work becomes your god.
*This excerpt is taken from The Fired Up Life by Kirby S. Llaban.
Featured photo from Unsplashed.com.
Motivate Yourself and Reach Your Goals
Often, we lack the drive and consistency to achieve our dreams. Our energies are sapped by worries, laziness, and fear. This book will help you motivate yourself and achieve success using the principles of the Christian faith. Specifically, this book will teach you how to:
- Find Your God-given Passion and Purpose
- Master Your Unique Gift
- Make a Blueprint for Your Dreams
- Keep Your Passion Burning
- Scale Up Your Influence and Impact
- Lead People with Passion
- Spread Your Passion Like Wildfire
You are meant to set the world on fire. What are you waiting for? It’s time to live the Fired Up Life!
“The Fired Up Life will help the reader live life to the full. We need more red-up Catholics to proclaim and live out the faith in our day-to-day life.” –Joe Tale, Chairman, Couples for Christ
Available now at www.KerygmaBooks.com/shop.
ARE YOU READY TO SET THE WORLD ON FIRE?
GET YOUR COPY OF KIRBY S. LLABAN’S,
THE FIRED UP LIFE: PASSION PRINCIPLES TO MOTIVATE YOU
FOR WORK AND LIFE
You don’t even have to leave the comforts of your home.
You can buy your own copies online!
FOR PAPERBACK and DIGITAL versions:
- Visit www.KerygmaBooks.com/shop and click on the titles that you want to order.
- Choose PAPERBACK or DIGITAL and check out your order.
- Choose your payment method.
- Pay via bank deposit or PayPal.
a. For bank deposit: pay your balance and upload your deposit slip at the link we’ve e-mailed to you upon placing your order.
b. Pay directly via PayPal.
- For PAPERBACK: Wait for the books to be delivered right to your home! (For orders P500.00 and up, FREE shipping within Metro Manila only. Standard shipping rates apply for orders below P500.00 or outside Metro Manila.)
For DIGITAL: Wait for the confirmation of receipt of payment. The download links to your books is included in the email.
This Post Has One Comment
Hello Kerygma… your content has been motivated me to work properly, I hope many people will visit your site to read this content